Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Original site, RSS feed reader or News Aggregator?

I constantly feel torn when it comes to how to get my news fix... And depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I'll handle things differently. Most of the time I'll go to www.google.com/ig (iGoogle news aggregator), and click on links to interesting articles on Digg, Engadget, Slashdot, Fark, InventorSpot, and the Social Web Technologies blog :-). But on occasion I'll just browse to slashdot.org, socialwebtechnologies.blogspot.com, digg.com, etc. And sometimes I'll use a dedicated RSS reader (like on my Palm, I use feedm8 to read the aforementioned newsfeeds)... But what is the best way to browse news data? All of the methods have their advantages (aggregator only requires a generic web browser, normal web sites have additional info that might not be in the RSS feed, and RSS readers provide a very concise low-data-transfer-less-junk view of the same data--ideal for mobile devices).

1 comment:

Sarah Stanger said...

I do the same thing (mix of actual site and RSS feeds). A lot of times I use the RSS feed to show me an update occurred and then link from there to the actual site to read the content.