Thursday, February 07, 2008

I Divorce U

Heres a Washington Post article on the recent issue of text messages as a medium for issuing a declaration of divorce in Egypt:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/18/AR20080118003628.html

Whats astonishing about the article is that apparently, the issue has been tackled all over countries under Islamic law already, in Qatar, UAE, and Malaysia.  I hardly know what to say on the issue other than "Wow".  On one end, it speaks volumes to how engrained in every day life technology, and especially cell phones, has become.  I can text message 12 characters out just to get a myriad of services: I can order a pizza, break up with my girlfriend, get movie times and weather information, if I'm in the mood I can even "Text 35523 to have a good time!!! for a nominal fee"

On the other end, its just gotten to this point where we spent all this time trying to make our lives easier through integrated networks.  And now that we're here, theres forces out there that just want to push our entire lives into these integrated networks.  I'm all for convenience, but come on, part of life is interacting with other people verbally.  Maybe its cool that I don't have to talk to some deadbeat answering the phones at Papa Johns, but you know, maybe it'd be a good idea to divorce your wife in person.

3 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Technology is only a means to an end. There are just certain things that, morally, you just should not do over a social network or text message... like, divorcing your wife.

An unbelievable story. All a dude has to do is say "I divorce you" three times and mean it? Amazing.

Imagine divorcing someone on a forum that does not check for accidental double posts... whoops, just posted three times instead of one. This could cause some serious problems.

Ann Marie said...

I definitely agree. Sometimes we are trying to over simplify our lives. I am a firm believer that it is the though times and things that make us who we are. I know that is an old ideaology but there is such a thing as "character building" as old the ideal is. I also think that the divorce via text message is more about cowardice and avoidance and anger than conveince. I read an article on this on www.firstwivesworld.com. The article stated that the women wouldn't answer the phone when the husbands were calling them so the I divorce you texts were more a "you don't want to answer my call? well take that!" At least that's what I'm getting from it. Check out the article and see what you think at
www.firstwivesworld.com
Just my two cents
Ann Marie