Sunday, February 10, 2008

Code-a-thons

Web application can be developed and changed very quickly. Web 2.0 is one of the main reasons it is constantly in Beta. Changes and tweaks can be done with great ease.

It seems some people are taking rapid development quite seriously. ReadWriteWeb has an interesting article about weekend code-a-thons. Rapid development retreats where teams work either with each other or against each other to develop web applications. The teams work to go from design to launch in just two days.

If I had a weekend to spare I would love to try this out. I think it would be an excellent weekend to learn and meet with other like-minded people as well. I imagine it would be like trying to do our group projects in a weekend.

2 comments:

Sarah Stanger said...

I've never done this for a real project, but I have participated in overnight coding competitions. From my experience, decisions that seem great at 4am after 8 hours of caffeine-fueled coding don't always look as great the next day.

I think that in order for this to be successful it would have to be done with a small team that worked well together and had a clearly defined plan.

Paul Swenson said...

Haha, who is to say that some of us aren't going to be doing our group projects the weekend before they are due ;-)